Recently a customer asked us if we provide DB migration into AWS.
Amazon provides a tool just for that called “AWS database migration service.”
AWS database migration service also known as DMS helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely.
Here are quick 7 reasons why you should use AWS database migration service
- AWS DMS allows the source database to remain fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the migrated database.
- Self-managed replication solutions can run into tens of thousands of dollars. Large investment in hardware is also is required in addition to the software.
Also self-managed replication solutions have to be install, configured and maintained which can take hours if not a mini project, just installing the software can turn to be a very complicated process.
- DMS is simple to use, any AWS user can set up replication directly in his account in minutes instead of days. There’s no need to install anything, drivers or applications.
- DMS monitors the source and target databases network connectivity and the replication instance. If the process is disturbed and broken, it automatically restarts the process and continues the migration from where it stopped.
- You can take advantage of on-demand pricing and scale your replication infrastructure up or down depending on the load migrating. For example, a terabyte size database can be migrated for as little as three dollars.
- AWS database migration service can work and migrate your data from most commercial and open source database platforms.
AWS users can migrate by themselves on-premises or hosted databases to Amazon RDS or Amazon ec2, also it can be used within AWS to migrate databases running on Amazon ec2 to Amazon RDS or vice versa.
- The service supports homogeneous as well as heterogeneous migrations.
Homogeneous migrations are those where source and target database platforms are the same such as SQL server to SQL server, whereas heterogeneous migrations are migrations between different database platforms such as SQL Server to Amazon Aurora. AWS schema conversion tool makes heterogeneous database migration easy. Using the tool you are converting the source database schema and a majority of the custom code automatically.
Migration includes the conversion of views , stored procedures, and functions to a format compatible with the target database.
Image source: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-database-migration-service